As the second week started, we got to get our hands on the project. On Monday, we got the group together to set some of the questions we wanted to ask our counterpart. It was important to prepare for the meeting, even if we were a little anxious.
Then, we had our first meeting with our counterpart. It was a great opportunity to learn more about the context of the project we are participating. In this meeting, we learned about the current situation of the elderly in Chile, their relationships with technology and the places where they live. As we understood from the problem, we have to create a solution that will help elders to connect with other people so that they will have a support system and avoid feelings of loneliness.
On Tuesday, after learning in class about strategies to gather information from our audience, we started to develop our own strategies. We decided to use interviews for the first contact with our target audience. Our plan is to interview some people at Fundacion Las Rosas, from churches, parks and other groups that we can find. By doing that, we expect to obtain as many profiles as we can, so we can analyse the problem through many different angles. We hope to connect with the elderly that we intervew because that will help us to understand what their problem really is and therefore, develop a better solution in the future.
So, after making these decisions, we gathered the whole group on Wednesday to expand on the immediate goals we have. We worked on our interview protocols, consent forms, and goals of this first contact. It was important to keep in mind that we should not be focusing on a solution now, but instead, on trying to fully understand the problem that was given to us. For that reason, we chose questions that we believe will help us know more about the people who will use our solution. We hope to win their trust so that they can help us get to the root of the isolation problem, by knowing what isolation means to them.
We continued to work on the protocols of the research and prepare our presentations. We also started doing some research into the topic of elderly life in Chile and loneliness, so that we can continue to get other viewpoints in this topic. In our work, we also did the context map of our project.
After our presentation, we got the feedback from our teachers and some tips for our interview. Some of the examples were to include more open questions and to ask “why” many times so that we can maybe find the root of our problem.
For the interviews, we are still setting up the meetings with the Las Rosas Foundation. And hopefully, we can meet with the elders there very soon. Because we didn’t get an answer yet, we decided to interview people we found in parks and in the streets.
We hope to achieve our goal during this project.